Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The BEE-bug!

Ive heard the BEE-bug when my friend called me up one night gushing "hey have you heard?" heard what? "that he is already in New York!" who is? another batchmate? a friend? "no,silly JOLLIBEE!" are you serious? "yup!" and excited screams followed.

After just four months absence of the leading fastfood chain in the Philippines from my tastebuds i did developed this sane cravings (yes still controllable). But time to time, in this cold weather, I wistfully remember these comfort foods. Palabok fiesta, Macaroni Soup, Spaghetti, Amazing Aloha, Peach Mango pie and yes the chicken that leveled up with Aga Muhlachs' stardom The Chickenjoy!

I was thankful for that news, that finally New York already have a Jollibee franchise! It was located at Woodside in between 62nd and 63rd street. And no Filipino would miss it (because outside you could easily spot a 4ft tall jolly BEE mascot in vivid red,yellow and white colors.



After waiting for my aunts' dayoff (with splashes of Jollibee dreams in between *winks*)
Alas! I came to finally reunite with my old friend! I've been expecting full lines based on the articles from news papers previously saying 1-2 hours of waiting for a chickenjoy is worth the wait. Got lucky this time, although it is still full, it was not the jam-packed placed they describe (maybe because it was an ordinary weekday and past lunch time) We got our order easily and found a seat with ease. Glancing around it was indeed the same place that I got used to in times of too lazy to cook moments of my mom. I enjoyed the chikenjoy (crispy in the outside, juicy in the inside) a lot. Along with it is the sweet filipino style spaghetti (though I think it still needs a bit of filipino flavor kick in it). And the gravy... yes the gravy! same superb taste!



A little bit of trivia here, who would know that Jollibee actually was an ice cream parlor before, it was opened by Mr. Tony tan on 1975 at Cubao. And now, Jollibee Food Corporation now hold atleast 1,655 stores nationwide and was considered to be one of the biggest fast food chains in the world.


I do think Jollibee does not stop at food per se, it has become a part of Filipino culture. Cultivating family values such as nurturing close ties within the family, its annual gift giving for unfortunate kids and developing sense of pride on being a Filipino.

I noticed too that most of the crew are Filipinos. Of course who would dare try this foreign fast food but Filipino customers who welcomes the familiar taste. Smiles. All are in smiles knowing that we are experiencing the same surreal moment of being close to home.



I enjoy being on Jollibee!

BTW, I happily take out peach mango pie and as soon as we arrive home I noddingly munched on it! yummy!
Jolly eating folks! ;p






- lzl